Reports now indicate that late Tanzanian President John Pombe Magufuli was admitted at the Nairobi Hospital.

Daily Nation on March 19 reported that the late president was checked into the hospital on March 8, 2021, despite the Tanzanian government previously denying that their leader was ever in Kenya.

Magufuli was discharged from Nairobi Hospital last week while in critical condition and flown back to Dar Es Salaam.

File image of late Tanzania President John Pombe Magufuli. |Photo| Courtesy|

This is after doctors at the facility declared that he could not be resuscitated.

He was flown into the country after suffering acute cardiac and respiratory illnesses. The president was on life support when he was released by the hospital.

Magufuli's presence in Kenya was closely guarded and not a word leaked to members of the public. It has been established only the National Intelligence Service and the National Security Advisory Committee were aware of him being in the country.

The publication further reported that Magufuli died shortly after he was checked into Mzena Hospital on Thursday, March 13.

This differs with the Tanzanian government's statement that Magufuli died on Wednesday, March 17.

"Dear Tanzanians, it is sad to announce that today March 17, at around 6pm we lost our brave leader, President John Pombe Magufuli who died from heart disease at Mzena Hospital in Dar Es Salaam," Vice President Samia Suluhu Hassan announced.

Daily Nation on March 9, had reported that an 'African Leader' had been checked into Nairobi Hospital and was undergoing treatment. This is despite Tanzania's denial that Magufuli was in Kenya.

The president had not appeared in public since February 27, and reports of his ailment were dispelled as rumours by Suluhu. Prime Minister Kassim Majaliwa stated that those were rumours peddled by 'hateful' Tanzanians living abroad.

Magufuli's condition is said to have deteriorated within 24 hours of admission at Mzena Hospital.

The government sought to fly him to Cape Town. However, doctors adviced that Magufuli did not have time on his side for a three-hour flight to Cape Town.

They settled on Nairobi Hospital and Magufully is said to have been immediately intubated upon arrival.

Reports indicate that Magufuli was unable to talk at the time he had been taken ill.

File image of The Nairobi Hospital. |Photo| Courtesy|