Police have arrested an Ajab Mills staffer after a video of him torturing another man over alleged theft went viral on April 4, 2021.

In the video seen by NairobiLeo.co.ke, the staffer since identified as Swabir Abdulrazaq  Mohamed who is a security guard at Ajab Mills in Simanzi, Mombasa County, could be seen dripping burning plastic on the alleged thief.

The man was tied to a pole, enduring the painful punishment as he begged for his life.

In the video, he could be heard saying that it was his first attempt at stealing. Abdulrazaq continued to beat him up as people watched from a distance.

After the disturbing video did rounds online, police asked the suspect to present himself to them or risk being declared a dangerous and wanted criminal.

"Detectives have early this morning arrested the man who was captured in a widely circulated video clip, torturing a suspected offender. Swabir Abdulrazaq Mohamed, 33, who works as a security guard at Ajab Unga Factory in Shimanzi, Mombasa, went into hiding immediately a special team of detectives launched his manhunt.

"However, his disappearance was short lived since the DCI anonymous call centre, received a tip-off on his whereabouts from a concerned member of the public and pounced on him," DCI stated in a series of tweets.

Detectives have since established that Abdulrazaq tortured the victim, for allegedly trespassing into the factory’s premises.

The victim who is yet to be identified, is said to be a street urchin who ekes his living through seeking alms in the streets of Mombasa.

Abdulrazaq alleges he handed over the victim to two Police officers, however, could not identify or remember the Police Stations where they are attached.

"However, we have since established that no such report was filled in any Police Station within Mombasa on the material day. Further, in the victim’s state, there isn’t a Police Station that would have booked him before he was treated," DCI stated.

Detectives are currently tracing the victim to file his statement.

Abdulrazaq will be arraigned in court on April 6 to answer to charges of grievous harm, with charges of attempted murder also being considered.