A woman has accused presidential hopeful Mukhisa Kituyi of assaulting her while in his company at a five-star hotel in Mombasa.

People Daily on June 10, 2021, reported that one, Diana Opemi Lutta accused the former United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) Secretary General of assaulting her while at the hotel. 

The alleged incident was filed at the Nyali Police Station under Occurrence Book (OB) Number 10/22/05/2021, on May 22.

 “Assault report to the station by one Diana Opemi Lutta (who) has submitted a report today the 22nd day of May 2021, at around 0200 hours. She has been assaulted by a person known to her within Tamarind Village, namely Mukhisa Kituyi whom she claims to be her boyfriend," the report read in part.

Lutta told People Daily that the former cabinet minister became physical with her after she rejected her sexual advances.

She alleged that Kituyi pushed her off the bed and continued to kick her while on the floor. She claimed to have injured her knee from the fall.'

“Police advised her to seek medical attention for further police action after she was issued with a P3 form which was later filled at the Coast General Hospital,” the police report further reads.

Kituyi has denied the allegations, however, conceding that a case was filed against him but was later withdrawn.

“Someone had written a report claiming l had assaulted her but it was not true, I’ve never beaten any woman in my life nor do I intend to ever do it at any given time. We sorted out the case and it was withdrawn,” the politician was quoted as saying.

A police officer privy to the matter denied that the case had been withdrawn.

“Kindly get in touch with the officer in charge of station since I am not aware of the matter being withdrawn.

We were waiting for the P3 form to be filled and handed over to us to enable us to arrest the suspect,” the officer was quoted by the daily as saying.

 “Once a complainant withdraws a matter at the station level, the withdrawal should be entered in the OB and a withdrawal statement signed by the complainant indicating he or she does not intend to proceed with the matter which is not the case in this matter,”  the officer explained.

Nyali Sub-County Commander Albert Chebii denied withdrawal of the case, revealing that the matter was still under investigation.

The incident is said to have occurred while Kituyi was in the Coast region last month popularising himself ahead of his 2022 presidential bid.

 Section 250 of the Penal Code declares that,  “any person who unlawfully assaults another is guilty of a misdemeanor and, if the assault is not committed in circumstances for which a greater punishment is provided in this Code, is liable to imprisonment for a period not less than one year.”