Residents of the Southlands, Kijiji area in Lang'ata Constituency were on Saturday, February 10 night left stranded after a huge fire erupted.
The Nairobi County fire team, the Kenya Redcross and community based response teams were deployed to the area to contain the fire which broke out a few minutes past 8 PM.
Kenya Redcross advised Kijiji residents to refrain from putting children to sleep until the fire is extinguished to minimize smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide exposure.
In another update, Kenya Redcross said the fire was successfully contained a few minutes to 11 PM.
“The situation has been successfully contained thanks to the collaborative efforts of the Nairobi City County fire team, the Kenya Red Cross, and Community Based Disaster Response teams,” Kenya Red Cross stated.
By the time of this publication, the authorities had not revealed the cause of the inferno.
Kijiji area has experienced several fire outbreaks in recent years. In 2018 four people lost their lives after the fire erupted in the area.
In January 2023 another fire incident happened in the Kijiji village leaving families in the cold and properties destroyed.
This comes after a fire broke out at the Bazaar Plaza in the Nairobi Central Business District (CBD) leaving businessmen and various firms operating in the building stranded.
However, the fire did not spread far as firefighters responded swiftly and started extinguishing the huge fire. Despite challenges in accessing the building, the firefighters managed to put out the fire.