Editor's Review

  • A student has died after drinking hand sanitiser. Others have since lost their eyesight.

A Form 4 student at Kaputir Mixed Secondary School, Turkana County, died after drinking a hand sanitiser.

Five more students from the school have also gone blind after allegedly consuming the deadly substance.

Students from the school who drank the deadly concoction complained of stomach pains and were taken to the hospital.

Parents expressed their disappointment and demanded that the principal resigns, and the Board of Management sent home.

The body of the deceased student was taken to a morgue in Turkana, with the burial set for next week.

Education CS Prof George Magoha directed teachers to confiscate all small-bottle sanitisers from students.

Sanitisers Banned

The CS remarked that some students were using sanitisers to start fires in schools.

“I want to tell teachers that they must not allow small-bottle sanitisers into schools. If any child has portable sanitiser, it should be taken and kept and given when the child is leaving school,” Magoha said.

“We have already seen that a fire was started using a sanitiser in one of the schools," he continued.

CS Magoha had warned that large quantities of sanitisers will not be allowed in schools, directing that only about five litres will be allowed and will be handled by teachers.