Editor's Review

  • A police officer who was on the run after torturing a Rongai makanga has been arrested by the DCI. The tout, unfortunately, succumbed to the wounds inflicted.

Detectives from the DCI have arrested a police officer suspected to have tortured and killed an Ongata Rongai tout.

According to the DCI, Police constable Edwin Oscar Okimaru arrested Joshua Mungai and assaulted him together with other victims.

"A Police officer based at Dabel Police Station in Moyale has been arrested by homicide detectives, being the main suspect in the brutal torture and subsequent murder of one Joshua Mungai, who until his death was a Matatu conductor at Stage One, in Ongata Rongai," DCI said.

"Police Constable Edwin Oscar Okimaru was arrested last night after intensive investigations involving the DCI Homicide branch, Cybercrime and Crime Research and Intelligence Bureau, forensically placed him at the scene of the gruesome murder," the statement added.

Mungai was arrested alongside two other people for allegedly defying curfew hours. Police officers bundled the three in a private vehicle after assaulting them.

"On April 18th last month at around 10 pm, the deceased alongside two others only identified as Njenga and George were arrested for violating curfew orders by the suspects. The three were assaulted before being bundled into the trunk of a private car," the DCI stated.

"The vehicle was then driven to the Tuala bridge area, where the victims were dumped. Miraculously, George who had been tied up using a rope managed to free himself, before rescuing to safety the deceased and Njenga who had been badly assaulted," they added.

The DCI conducted investigations and established that constable Okimaru was the scene when Mungai was tortured. The officers dumped the three at the Tuala bridge area. Mungai was badly injured and he could not walk.

George and Njenga found a boda boda and dropped the deceased close to Nazarene University where he slept until morning when a good samaritan rescued him and took him to hospital.

"The deceased also suffered broken ribs and bones, indicating that he had been tortured prior to his death. Detectives are still pursuing more leads into the murder most foul, with a view of gathering more evidence and making subsequent arrests," the DCI reported.