Kenya Kwanza Presidential Candidate William Ruto has weighed in on attending the anticipated 2022 presidential debate.
Speaking to a vernacular radio station on Monday at his official Karen residence, the deputy president said he will make the decision in the next few days.
“In the next few days tutaamua kama Kenya Kwanza vile tutashiriki katika presidential debate. Mimi kwa maoni yangu hiyo presidential debate ingekuwa platform mzuri ya wakenya kujua mambo kadha kuhusu sisi ambao tunatafuta uongozi,” Ruto stated.
Ruto said that he had spoken to media outlets and they wanted him to attend the debate.
The DP, however, said that he quizzed the media on coverage where he claimed that they had given 65 percent of coverage to his main competitor, leaving him with only 35 percent.
Ruto wondered what the problem was if the media could be fair in news coverage.
“Nawauliza ndugu zangu watu wa media kuna ugumu gani tukiwa na usawa? Na kama media wanasema wako free, fair and independent, ni nini inawazuia ama ni nini inawafanya wakawa unfair to our side? The DP posed.
The DP, however, said that they are looking forward to making the decision on attending the debate, and hopefully it will be to attend it.
He said the communication would be made as soon as possible.
The presidential debate will be held on Tuesday, July 26 at the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) in Karen, Nairobi.