Editor's Review

Following the incident, the DJ was arrested after it was reported that the said officer had succumbed to injuries. 

Popular disc jockey Joe Mfalme, real name Joseph Mwenda, has sent a message to his fans after he was arrested over the death of a senior Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) officer after an assault incident in Kiambu County

DJ Joe Mfalme, his bouncer, driver, and photographer allegedly attacked Kabete Police Station Deputy DCIO Felix Kelian on March 16 in Kikuyu market.

Following the incident, the DJ was arrested after it was reported that the said officer had succumbed to injuries. DJ Joe Mfalme and his crew were then forced to spend the weekend behind bars.

In a statement issued late on Sunday, March 24, DJ Joe Mfalme indicated that he is cooperating with the detectives regarding the incident.

File image of DJ Joe Mfalme at a club. PHOTO | COURTESY

While placing his trust in God, the DJ hoped that the investigations would help uncover the truth.

"DJ Joe Mfalme and his team have been in close collaboration with the investigative agencies since the occurrence of the incident. DJ Joe Mfalme and his team are fully committed to participating in the investigative procedure and will continue to extend their cooperation as may be required," he stated.

"We place our trust in God Almighty in particular and the authorities in general to conduct a comprehensive and transparent investigation aimed at uncovering the truth," he added.

However, he clarified that he would not be issuing any other public information due to the nature of the investigations.

"Given the ongoing investigations and the sensitive nature of the matter, we shall refrain from making any further statements at this time. We deeply appreciate your understanding and unwavering support. We shall purpose to update you once the investigations are complete," he announced.

At the same time, he extended a condolence message to the family of the said officer who died after their altercation.

The officer had reportedly hit the DJ’s car from the rear but before the case was solved by traffic officers from Kikuyu Police Station, the DJ and his crew reportedly attacked Kelian.

It is alleged that the three officers arrived at the scene, arrested Kelian, and took him to Kikuyu Police Station, where Mwenda and his team joined the but were later allowed to leave without recording a statement.

The DCI officer was left complaining of abdominal pain and was first rushed to the Langata Hospital before being referred to Nairobi West Hospital where he died on Friday.