Editor's Review

  • According to the DCI, the three used different techniques to ensure they were not easily noticeable by the public and also to reach out to their people outside.

The DCI’s anti-terror detectives have gathered crucial details on how three terror convicts escaped from the highly-guarded Kamiti Maximum Prison and made their way to Kitui, where they were re-arrested last week.

According to the DCI, the three used different techniques to communicate with their people outside and ensure they were not easily noticeable by the public.

After they escaped from Kamiti, the three reportedly made their way to Machakos where their post-escape plan began.

In Machakos, the three are reported to have bought caps to conceal their faces as they embarked on the next phase of the journey.

The three had been in the news for several days and their faces were all over social media, so, in a bid to reduce the chances of them being noticed, they purchased caps.

They also bought two mobile phones which they intended to use in communicating with their people on the outside. However, they suffered a setback when a shop attendant declined to register sim cards for the three due to lack of IDs.

The three prisoners who escaped from Kamiti. [Photo: Courtesy]

“The convicts who did not have Identity Cards had prevailed upon a shop attendant to sell and register them SIM cards, but the shop attendant would hear none of it. They desperately pleaded with the attendant to facilitate them at a fee but the attendant was adamant that unless they produced their national identification documents, then no help would come their way,” DCI narrated.

“The attendant’s refusal to make illegal and illegitimate profit saved the country in a big way. The decision to do what is right regardless offered not only demonstrated the attendant’s steadfastness but also his fidelity to the law even when nobody was watching,” DCI added.

Despite the setback occasioned by the shop attendant, it is believed that the three managed to register sim cards elsewhere and contact their people outside.

It is suspected that the people outside are the once who helped guide them how to maneuver across villages and less populated areas as they headed towards Garissa. 

Reports indicate that the three had been in contact with unknown men who were waiting for them at Masalani, to allegedly facilitate their exit from the country and into Somalia.

Fortunately, they were discovered by locals and caught about eight kilometres from the reported meeting point.

Meanwhile, the three were on Monday arraigned in court where the prosecution was allowed to detain them for 10 more days as they investigate the escape.

The court ordered that the three be detained at ATPU headquarters in Nairobi for the 10 days.