The Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji has said he is ready to leave office if his accusers lay sufficient grounds for his removal.
Speaking during an interview with KBC on Wednesday night, Noordin noted that he is a believer in God and the rule of law, adding that if due process is followed and he’s found unfit to hold office, then he will gracefully vacate.
“If the President sets up a tribunal and the tribunal finds that I have to leave, I am a man of God and believe that God has better plans for me. Hii kiti sio ya mama yangu…If PSC (Public Service Commission) feels that I have to go, I cannot be in this seat forever. I recognize that, that’s why I have a term and the term will end,” he said.
File Image of DPP Noordin Haji. [Photo: Courtesy]
So far, several petitions have been filed at the Public Service Commission seeking for the removal of the DPP.
In October, the family of slain businessman Tob Cohen accused the DPP of mishandling the case and sought for his removal from office.
"That in acting in the manner as enclosed herein this humble petition, the Director of Public Prosecution fits the criteria for the removal of office consistent with the provisions under Article 158 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010," the court document read in part.
On Monday, October 25, Nairobi businessman Francis Njeru filed a petition in court seeking the removal of DPP Haji from office over alleged interference in a land-related case.
Meanwhile, the High Court on Friday, October 29, 2021, ordered the Public Service Commission to suspend consideration of the petitions pending the determination of two cases filed in regards to the matter.
The court further restrained the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) and DPP Haji from commenting or discussing the matter before the PSC and the High Court in regards to Justice Sankale Ole Kantai.