Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has swiftly responded after a photo a tree that had been partially cut down in Nairobi CBD surfaced online Friday, September 23.
In a tweet, the county boss heavily condemned the act maintaining that he had already summoned the responsible officer.
Sakaja said that he did not support the cutting down of trees in the city and he was planning to increase tree cover throughout the city.
"This has been brought to my attention and I’ve asked for the responsible officer. I DO NOT support cutting down of trees. In any case, we need more and have a plan to increase our tree cover in and throughout the city," Sakaja stated.
He, however, said that the tree had been pruned after an outcry by pedestrians in the city maintaining that it was procedural that the tree be nurtured.
Sakaja said that he was upset by the act but added that the tree will grow as he even promised to increase tree cover in the city.
“I have been assured that the pruning done after the outcry by pedestrians due to the recent Marabou stork’s invasion was procedural and that the tree shall be nurtured. Again I reiterate, we will increase our tree cover in the city. I was upset as you all but the tree will grow,” he added.
Sakaja has been meeting with various stakeholders in the county since being sworn into office even as he seeks to implement his manifesto to the city residents.